Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Posies for Poppy

Pansy and Poppy loved to play together. Sometimes, Pansy forgot Poppy wasn’t a kid like her. He was her grandpa. He was the best grandpa and he was her best friend.

“Higher! Higher!” Poppy squealed when Pansy pushed him on the swings.

“Faster! Faster! Pansy shouted when Poppy raced her down the hill.


One day, Poppy was too sick to come out to play. Pansy tried to play by herself, but Hide and Seek wasn’t much fun when there was no one to find hiding behind trees. And sadly, dogs and cats make great pets, but they can’t play Checkers. Pansy was sad without her grandpa. She wanted to do something to make him feel better.


“When I get sick Poppy always brings me a card,” Pansy said to her mother. She worked all morning long and when it was time to go visit Poppy, her card was full of bright, colorful flowers.

“Poppy? Why do flowers come in so many different colors?”

“Flowers are like people. God made us all unique. Flowers, and people, come in lots of different sizes, shapes, and colors. All are beautiful and loved, especially you.”

“I’m glad God made you, Poppy.”

“You are the prettiest flower of all, my Pansy.”


The next day, Pansy brought Poppy a bowl of soup. “What’s it like to get old, Poppy? Billy says grandpa’s are old. Are you old, Poppy?”

“It’s like when your favorite pair of shoes gets worn out. They get a bit scuffed up, and might not look as good as they use to, but you love them all the same. Just like I love you.”

“I’m glad you’re not too old, Poppy.”

“I’ll never be too old to hug you, Pansy.”


Poppy still wasn’t feeling good enough to play. Pansy pulled her old wagon behind her, filled with her favorite toys and blankets. Her elephant always made her feel better. “Poppy? Do you ever get scared? Sometimes I get scared.”

“Sure, I used to get scared, especially of the dark. Then someone told me that God was always with me and would protect me. Just like I’ll always protect you.”

“I wish I were brave like you, Poppy.”

“But you are, Pansy.”


Pansy went to visit Poppy in the hospital. She clutched a handful of orange poppies in one hand, and a posy of pansies in the other. “Poppy? Mama says soon you are going to meet God. What’s God like?”

“God is like your best friend. He always listens to you and never gets mad at you, even when you aren’t on your best behavior. He loves you just as much as I do. But he’s waiting for me in Heaven. It's time for me to go.”

“I’m glad you were my best friend, Poppy.”

“I’m glad too, Pansy."

No comments: